To continue from last week's blog, Tufte has more criticisms of Powerpoint. Some are valid points, but there are always exceptions to the rule.
One of Tufte's criticisms is that the visual aspect of Powerpoint presentations are not strong. He argues that the graphs used do not paint as clear of a picture and are not as detailed as a paper handout could be and that meaningless clipart is used to fill space but doesn't have a purpose. I will admit that I am even guilty of using a picture to accompany a slide that isn't particularly necessary. However, I don't agree with his assertions about the graphs. Powerpoint allows you to create very detailed graphs. If done correctly, the graph can show everything you need. You can even import a graph created in Excel. I have used graphs in Powerpoint presentations to prove my point and have had positive feedback from the audience.
Tufte also criticizing Powerpoint presentations not so versatile style. He argues that there is a disconnect between the tone of a presentation and what the presenter is presenting because of the ready-made templates. Sometimes it can come off as mocking. He uses an example of Abraham Lincoln's Gettysberg Cemetery Dedication. This presentation is colorful and bright but the event was not. Tufte's argues that is comes off as a parody. In this instance, I do agree. I think Powerpoint is a great teaching tool, but not necessarily the best teaching tool for everything. I can see how an audience can feel a disconnect and misunderstanding of the somber realities of certain events if you choose to use a Powerpoint presentation to teach.
No comments:
Post a Comment