I would let my son or daughter take a class on FLVS. The way I look at it is it isn't much different from taking online classes in college. If taught correctly, you can get as much out of a virtual class as you can out of a nonvirtual class. I have taken a class on FLVS in high school. The class allowed me to complete a requirement and enabled me to take an extra class I was more interested in during school. Taking an online course gives students the opportunity to focus on classes they are most interested in while in the classroom. In addition, technology is expanding and providing more ways to interact with students online. The online classroom is a suitable envirionment for a students' needs.
However, I would not let child go to high school full-time online, unless he or she is pursuing something academically, such as traveling, that would not allow him or her to be in a high school setting. There is value in classroom teaching. It is important for students to interact with other students to develop social skills. Going to school online full time does not provide the same interactions. Not only to you learn to interact with peers, but you also learn how to properly interact with adults. High school is an experience that I believe is important for children to have. During these years you grow up, and there is value in being surrounded by people constantly during the day. In addition, you have the opportunity to receive attention in a classroom setting that you may not get online.
Today, copyright is a big issue in schools. Unfortunately, technology only makes it easier. I would use serious analogies to get the point across to students. I think is in important to teach a lesson on copyright. I believe part of the problem is students just don't know the rules. At the beginning of the year I would dedicate a lesson to teaching copyright. Analogies make the issue real. For example, ask the class who owns a car. Then explain what would happen if someone took that car. Describe the legal process, ask students how they would feel and what they feel the proper punishment would be. Then, explain how copyright isn't much different. Yes, some students will still cheat, but there are some who would walk away from this lesson with a better understanding of their responsibilities when it comes to copyright. It will be clear that those who do not abide by the rules will have to face the consequences.
No comments:
Post a Comment